Monday, January 16, 2012

Design Autobiography 1


My name is Cat and I enjoy my morning cup of coffee. I chose this extra large stainless steel travel coffee mug for my well-designed object. I personally have a very hard time functioning (or even being a civil human being) in the mornings without my morning cup of coffee. I drive from Winston every morning to get to class, and I have found this mug particularly invaluable for my daily commute to get to class on time and without a major coffee stain somewhere on my person. Additional features include keeping my coffee hot for much longer than my other travel mugs, having an additional outside plastic barrier that is great for preventing damage from those inevitable falls, and last but not least, coming with a dry erase marker for personalization. This travel mug definitely boasts equal function and form for me. 

According to Jules David Prown's assessment of culture and how it relates to my travel mug, he uses three major tools for analysis: description, deduction and speculation. My travel coffee mug is stainless steel on the interior with a plastic drinking cap that seals itself shut and an outside plastic cover. Most of the coffee brewed in the carafe from my four cup coffee maker will fit inside this travel mug, which means it holds an even greater amount of liquid than the standard travel mug. It also fits snugly in my hand.  

As it relates to the subculture theory from Dick Hebdige, this coffee mug can hark to the tension between independent cafes and corporate coffee shops (ie: Starbucks) that are common in American society today. Independent coffee shops in Winston are typically painted dark colors and are filled with second hand furniture and local artists' work for sale on the walls. The coffee sold is fair trade and organic. This juxtaposes with the beige and green interiors of Starbucks with their large windows and white wood counters and matching tables and chairs. The culture at large in America seeks out the corporate version far more often, and versions of this mug are often lining the shelves for sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment