Sunday, January 22, 2012

MLK's speech for MLK day: a lettering project [P1]

These are images from my first attempt at architectural lettering. Architectural lettering involves using a straight edge for all vertical lines, while all horizontal lines are free handed on a slight diagonal. The key is to keep all your letters between the guidelines and for them to be consistent throughout. I found drawing an 'R' the hardest for some reason. This lettering project was a little meditative for me after I got into the groove of it. I really enjoy the more humanist, san serif fonts personally, anyway.

Practicing Architectural Lettering:




This is the full 11x17 vellum:


A detail shot of the lettering - note the inconsistent 'R':


Perhaps the most creative aspect of the assignment for me was creating a "trademark" sign. This is a little symbol made from drafting tools that is in the bottom right hand of every page. I originally wanted to incorporate "Cat" in my trademark, but all the versions I created were either too busy or looked like a sports team logo. I settled on the following because I liked its simplicity and how asymmetrical the two open circles are:


Below, the fully scanned image:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment